Wednesday, August 12, 2009

It sure is getting hot in here...


From a friends page on Facebook:
"sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and disagree with this administration, somehow you’re not patriotic. We need to stand up and say we’re Americans, and we have the right to debate and disagree with any administration.”
I couldn't agree more.

As a Veteran who protested the war in Iraq (circa 2003-04), having my "patriotism" questioned by folks who don't understand the concept of the military structure, good order and discipline, and our commitment really ticked me off, although getting full cans of Coke and padlocks thrown from moving cars wasn't fun either.

When Mark Kennedy came to St Cloud to talk about Roe v. Wade several years ago, I simply walked up to the microphone and asked how he could be so "staunchly pro-life and pro-war".

He glossed over my question, and while it ticked me off that he never gave a direct answer, I didn't feel the need to get loud, violent, or angry. Despite his support for a war that, at last count, has taken a dozen of my former colleagues and friends.

Watching the footage of events on TV this morning shows me just how polarized Americans are by their party identification of Democrat or Republican. On NBC, a woman was holding an Obama picture with a Nazi flag in the background.

Really?

Is this what we've come to?

I'm still left wondering when someone will be killed at one of these events...

No comments: