Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pro-war, Pro-Bush, Pro-escalation ads

Having seen these things now for the past week, they are quite disturbing. We continue to get bombarded by the rhetoric of fighting in Iraq to protect us from those that attacked us on 9-11.

Ari Fleischer, former White House press secretary, was on MSNBC Hardball, and could not name the wounded Iraq Vet he used in his TV ads.

Thanks for Think Progress for pointing this out!

Recall the post at Armyofdude a few days ago.

What has been bothering me this whole deployment is the brevity and formality in which the media handles the death of soldiers. It always goes, “PFC John Smith, Norman, Oklahoma, killed by enemy small arms fire in Baghdad. Assigned to 1/43 Engineers, Third Infantry Division.” What a crock to read that in a paper. It would be wholly appropriate to dedicate a full color photo and a real biography in every paper in America. The anonymity of dead soldiers would evaporate and the public would be forced to look at the faces of the fallen. Would it set in progress change? Perhaps. It certainly would go to show that we’re out here every day, dying for an ideal long forgotten. As for me, I started to sign these entries with my initials long ago to avoid detection by superiors. I could and still can get in trouble for what I’ve written. Lately this blog has been passed around to dudes of every rank, and those who would be punishing me have become readers. So it’s no longer necessary to be sneaky and secretive, another anonymous soldier. My name is Alex Horton, and I’m a 22 year old from Frisco, Texas. I can recite Pulp Fiction line by line and my favorite color is blue. I want to be a journalist when I grow up, and I want to see every part of the world. For the first time in my life I’m an avid reader. Fifteen months here has been fifteen months away from Lauren, the girl I’m crazy about. This wouldn’t be much of a blog without her, as she’s the inspiration for anything creative coming out of me, my beautiful muse.

I should not be surprised by the Republicans complete disregard for Veterans, while using them as campaign fodder.

Disgusting...

No comments: