Monday, April 14, 2008

Muse on Team Olson

Not sure what Team Olson is ding here as it would make some local party activists to question the sanity behind the numbers. Political Muse has a great post up as well. I'd have started with the chorus from Billy Joel's hit "Sometimes a Fantasy"

It's just a fantasy
It's not the real thing
It's just a fantasy
It's not the real thing
But sometimes a fantasy
Is all you need
Dear CD6 Delegates,
As you already know, I personally have been calling each of you. Of the 139 delegates to our convention I have been fortunate to speak with 97 of you so far. I have learned of your concerns. I have learned what issues are important to you. I have received a lot of good advice. And I have answered a lot of questions.

Recently a few delegates have told me that our “opponent’s staff” have told them that their candidate is far in the lead. One said that the count was 118 confirmed delegates for Tinklenberg and just 21 for Olson. One delegate named a staff member who had told him a few weeks ago that “Olson has dropped out of the race.”

I believe that a member of Congress should feel compelled to speak out when they see things being misrepresented. It was their failure to do so during the lead up to the Iraq war that has brought us to where we are today.

When I have spoken with you I have asked each of you who are you are supporting. My impression is that those of you who are supporting Elwyn have been comfortable telling me that.

With 97 of 139 contacted, here are the results:
Olson 51%
Tinklenberg 32%
Undecided 17%

Please make your own interpretation of the numbers.

I cannot guarantee that you will make me your endorsed candidate at
Bunker Hills on the 26th. But I will guarantee that if you do, we will use
honesty and integrity to defeat Mrs. Bachmann in November, that I will have the
backbone to represent all of your values in Washington, and that together we can
change the world.

Thanks to all of you for 97, and counting, great conversations.

See you on the 26th,

Bob Olson

Muse adds:
While I am all for speaking out about the debacle that has been this Administration and Iraq, to connect that to interpretations of delegate math is reaching far beyond the bounds of reality. Unfortunately, what could have made for a great choice in candidate has turned into an embarrassing example of tilting at windmills. It is time, Mr. Quixote, to come back from your fantasy and join us here in the world of reality.

My interpretation: Bob Olson is experiencing a lot of Minnesota Nice. Surely some support his candidacy, but I cannot fathom Olson having 48 delegates, Tinklenberg 32 delegates with 7 undecided.

My delegate math, compiled by talking to a mix of delegates, party chairs, and seeing the named caucuses where these delegates are to come form, I have Tinklenberg up 69 to 28, with about 40 in undecided ranks.

In my eyes, it's a dire situation for Bob. The race in Bunker Hills will be over in time for Two Putt Tommy and I to play 18, that's for sure. 1 ballot. Maybe 2.

Who knows though, stranger things have happened at endorsing races before. I just highly doubt this many bloggers can be wrong on this one. It's perfectly clear in my eyes.

1 comment:

Bounced Checks Berg said...

Well, I am bringin' my sticks....