Friday, January 12, 2007

Teacher letters in the Glencoe paper

The McLeod County Chronicle has three great letters talking about education and teachers. On the heels of a failing referendum the value of our teachers is even greater, for they will be asked to do even more with less.

Great letters, but here are my favorite lines, one from each letter.

Even if Minnesota teachers were overpaid, they probably deserve it. I'd
expect to make more money if I was the best in the nation at what I did.

"Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, I can hold my head up
high and pay no attention because they are ignorant ... You want to know
what I make? "I make a difference. What do you make?"

In 2005, the GSL School District received $1,557 in local revenues per student. The state average for the same time period was $2,602 per student. In other words,
taxpayers in the GSL School District are spending 40 percent less on our students than the average Minnesotan.


Brenda Latourelle, Nancie Waage, and Brian Ryherd have done us all a great service with the letters they wrote.

However, our locally elected leaders have been talking about these issues for years, Senator Dille since 1990, with zero results when it comes to rural education funding. The time has come for change...

Hat's off to you teachers!

No comments: